Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Well, there's eight hours of my life I'll never get back!

Have I ever told you how much I hate knitting gauge swatches? I know they are essential, even mandatory if you want a garment to fit you properly but I never get it right the first time. I decided to knit this for myself even though I said I don't like knitting sweaters for me. But I saw it on a friend and fell in love with it. I even broke down and bought the pattern! I'm frugal when it comes to purchasing patterns that I might never knit. I would rather put the free ones in my Ravelry library and never knit them than actually pay cold hard cash and have it sit in my binder and mock me every time I walk past it. But this cardi was so precious and I saw this beautiful red alpaca, silk, merino blend yarn the perfect weight, according to the pattern. Who could resist? I ignored the tiny voice inside which screamed at me, "The last time you knit yourself a sweater you wound up giving it away!" Granted, I gave it to my daughter because it looked beautiful on her. On me, not so much! I also ignored the fact that the neckline of the sweater I gave to her was exactly the same as the pattern I just bought. Another red flag. So this past weekend I decided it was time to bite the bullet and make that swatch so I could have a pretty red cardi waiting for me next fall. I took out my size 7 needles and cast on a whole bunch of stitches, more than what I needed for a swatch. And then I spent 4 hours on Saturday and 4 more on Sunday knitting stockinette swatches. When the size 7 needles did not produce the correct amount of stitches in 4 inches I tried all others hoping that eventually I would get gauge. Not even close. How on earth can I knit with size 6's to 10's and not get gauge?!!! I was always too far over the 4" requirement! I've said it before and I'll say it again. I need to listen to my knitting goddesses when they whisper to me. This time they screamed at me, "FORGET THAT STUPID SWEATER!!!" 
Okay, I'm over my rant now. Thank you for listening!
Anywaaaaayyyy.... We chicks are into the baby knitting! It's so much fun to make baby clothes! Kathleen finished one already, no surprise here. This sweet leafy cardi is a washable synthetic mohair. Moms will appreciate that.
 Barbara is stashbusting with baby mittens.
 Her first pair will be this soft lavender color.
 I love this little hoodie for which I did not get gauge (who is surprised here? not me!) but it's ok because I don't really know who will be wearing it so I don't have to make it an exact size. That's the great thing about charity knitting...it's going to fit SOMEBODY.
 I chose this colorful yarn which is a merino and mohair blend.
 Dorah started this baby cardigan last week and already it has grown. By the time we went home last night she was all ready to put the sleeve stitches on holders.
 And Carole's baby pullover is down to the bottom ribbing. Sleeves next week probably.
We haven't chosen a recipient yet for these baby clothes but we still have time. For now we will just enjoy the journey and worry about the destination later.

No comments: