Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Sand and scarves

I've been planning on a short get-away for a few weeks now and last week it finally happened. DH and I snuck away for four days at the Delaware beaches. We arrived Tuesday afternoon and immediately headed for the sand on Rehoboth Beach. You can tell by the extremely thick cloud cover that we didn't exactly have to worry about getting a sunburn.
 But that didn't stop us from parking our chairs on the beach. We spent Wednesday morning on Bethany Beach dodging raindrops here and there but I did get to sink my toes in the sand.
 We had to follow the weather reports very closely because Hurricane Joaquin was heading up the coast, or so we thought. By the looks of the waves, it sure seemed as though a big storm was brewing.
 But we were able to breathe a sigh of relief when it was reported the hurricane took a sharp right and headed back out to sea. However, Thursday afternoon when we returned to our hotel we found the entrances had been sandbagged and barricaded. So the locals knew something we didn't. Our decision to leave early Friday morning for the six hour drive home was a wise one. We avoided the flooded roads but visibility was gruesome! It felt good to be back home safe and sound....
And back with my Chicks. Liz and Elaine worked on their scarf and hat, respectively. I was hoping we would get to knit outside again before winter but as you can see by the sweaters being worn, it was not to be. 
 Elaine wrapped up her cowl project and now it's in our inventory. 
 Maureen doesn't have much yarn left to call it a day on her Mistake Stitch Scarf. It's a good thing too! I think she's about ready to pull her hair out on this one! Sometimes a scarf is just too darn long!
 But shhhh...don't tell Dorah! She's knitting the same scarf!
 Carole finished the cowl and had enough yarn left over to start a hat to match.
 It's going to be a nice one too.
 She already has quite a bit knitted.
 Beth finished her Last Minute Cowl. It's a toasty warm knit for which she used Lopi yarn.
 I finished a Totally Biased Cowl using a bulky weight yarn. I can't tell you what it is because it had no label but it's pretty and very soft.
 Beth showed us her Crackerjack Scarf. The pattern is designed around the colors of your favorite sports team and the rows are knitted according to wins and losses for away and home games. Looks like the wins are outnumbering the losses.
I embarked on a new endeavor today. I offered to lead a knitting group at Ingersoll Place Assisted Living where my father used to live. I wondered why I didn't see any of the residents knitting and when I inquired, I was told there had been an interest expressed and would I be willing to get a group going. So this afternoon was our first session. We discussed what types of things the ladies wanted to knit and what techniques they might like to learn. So the first thing I'm going to show them is how to knit a hat using the Magic Loop technique. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

AlisonH said...

Cool. That group will be very grateful to have you, and a great way to honor your Dad.

Loved the beach pictures, too. I had to chuckle at the no-sunburn thought--as a teen I went with a church group to Assateague Island, likewise deeply overcast so I thought I would get no sun. I came home with not just a burn but sun poisoning, my face so swollen my mother didn't recognize me when I walked in the door at home.